Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes

Posted by lucy131 co (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 23:59

I started roma tomatoes from seeds back in January and they seemed to be doing well. My problem is trying to harden them off in this hot/windy/cold weather. I finally put them in the garden yesterday but they are looking yellow to me. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? They started turning yellow when I tried hardening them off in the yard, garage etc. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes

Were you giving them extra water because they were outside?
Or are they in need of fertilizer? Usually those are the 2 causes of yellow leaves--too much water or lack of fertilizer.

When you are trying to harden off plants sometimes you have to be creative. Always put them in a shady spot at first-- it is as much as 20 degrees cooler in the shade and less uv light. Gradually move them into the sun. Some wind is good because it makes for sturdy stems. If there is too much wind block some of it. A lawn chair on it's side makes an effective wind block.

o

What size pots are they in? If you started them in January, they should probably be in some pretty big pots by now or they may be very stressed. If you're not going to be planting them soon, you may want to pot them up to a larger container.

o

You started them far too early. By now they are sure to be very stressed and weak. No matter what is done now, I would not expect much from these plants. Al

o
RE: tomatoe seeds

One quick question, hope somebody knows the answer?
Are black cherry cherry tomato's real heirlooms? or are they
a hybrid? I read they were invented by a gentlemen named Sapp, in Florida.
I want to save the seeds if in fact they will be true
to this years plant.

Thank you
Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here