Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow a maple tree seed

Posted by wil_1890 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 0:18

Hello, i have been funds some seed of maple tree and i would like to plant them but i don't know how ( they are dry ) and i opened some, some had a green thing in the seed and other were black.

I would like to have help about this i really want to plant a tree !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow a maple tree seed

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Maple seeds sprout easily, you shouldn't have trouble getting some seedlings. If you look around your yard, there are probably already seedlings you could dig up if you wanted.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 12:08

Wil, we don't know exactly what climate you are in, or which maple - not all will have the same requirement for germination.

In general, most - but not all - maples need an extended period of moist chill (winter, or simulating winter) before they will germinate.

If you don't know which maple, a good guess would be to sow them when first ripe so that they are exposed to the same conditions they would receive from mother nature self sown from the tree. And for many maple, sowing now would mean germination/seedlings in late winter or Spring next season.

o

Thank you, but the seed i have funds they are of the last year because they are like dry and not green like if they were just dropped.

but if i plant some seed of the last year did you think it will work ? And in what do i need to plant them in dirt who i buyed in a shop ?

o

Can someone answer me please ??

o

What about all of the seeds the maples are dropping this year? What kind of maple?

o

i dont know exactly what is the kind but its a thing like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmanuel-lattes/4404212773/

o

your link.

Yep, that's a maple seed, sometimes called a key. If somebody can ID the type by looking at the seed, I hope they come by this discussion. I can't.

o

Maple seeds do not need a cold period before sprouting. We have sugar maples, silver maples, and a few other in our yard and our neighbors yard. Every single year, not even a week after the seeds fall, they start sprouting and we have to pull them by the hundreds out of our gardens. Stick it in some dirt, water it, and forget about it. it WILL grow!And fast at that! We have 8 trees that we have let go and in 3 years time, most are 15 feet tall.

o

thanks for the information but did they fall on the ground in the spring or they fall before the winter and start to grow a little under the snow ??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here