Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Stratification

Posted by Jasyan Aus (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 1:12

Hi,

I've read a lot on seed stratification but one thing I haven't been able to find is whether or not seeds that are stratifying (I use the baggie method with a moist paper towel) actually germinate while they're in the fridge?

I've been stratifying various raspberry and blackberry varieties, some with a moist paper towel and some with soil, and I don't know if I should be looking out for seedlings during stratification or if I need to plant the seeds after the stratification period for them to germinate.

I've also got some pear and apple seeds (I know they won't be true to type but I wanted to grow them anyway for fun) and they've been stratifying for over a month now and haven't done anything. Should I take them out after stratification and treat them like any other seeds that doesn't require pre-treatment? Or should I leave them in the fridge for a while longer?

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Stratification

Seeds being stratified should not germinate at the low temperatures required for stratifying. When the time required for stratifying has been met, the seeds should be immediately planted. If not done, the seeds are likely to germinate when germination temperatures are reached, and then die. Al

o
RE: Seed Stratification

As Calistoga said.
But if you want to test for germination after you pull them from the frig use the damp towel method in a close container outside the frig. Check daily but use a germination guide to understand the typical time to germination for that specific seed. These are only guides. I have seen seeds germinate quicker if in a warm moist environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here