Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit Seeds.

Posted by erict 7 ATL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 1:55

What's the best way to get mangsteen, lychee, and white sapote seeds to germinate?

Oh....and jackfruit too.

Soak them in water? Plant in the pure sugar and the juice of crushed ant larvae?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit Seeds.

Good question, I'd love to grow some lychee and probably just have the climate for it! My favourite fruit, yum. What are mangosteen and white sapote like?

o

The firmer White sapote varieties have a thick texture of imported danish butter but with the taste of ..... faint custard.

Mangosteen is in a class of its own. Imagine replacing the acid sensation in pineapple with fruit punch. And the texture of a gelatinous orange......

o

I had two jackfruit seeds that I traded for and if I remember right I might have soaked them first before planting.I have one up now.I googled for germinating info.Good luck!Debbie

o

Is that a joke about planting in pure sugar, and crushed ant larvae? Cause i sure hope so

o

Regarding Mangosteen, from what I understand the tricky part is getting fresh seed that havent dried out. the seeds are usually packed and shipped in moistened peat, and placed in zip lock baggies. I just ordered some seed, and hope to get these started also. I found this pdf file on Mangosteen cultivation.
www.icuc-iwmi.org/files/Publications/Mangosteen_Manual.pdf.pdf
hope that helps.

o

Adding to my previous post, here is the Annona manual, since Sapote is of that family im sure the information will be usefull for you, like the previous manual for Mangosteen, this manual is also chock full of very detailed information.
www.icuc-iwmi.org/files/Publications/Annona_Manual.pdf
good luck

o
couple more manuals

Ok and now for your Jackfruit:
http://www.icuc-iwmi.org/files/Publications/Jackfruit_Manual.pdf.pdf
there is also a manual specific to Zapote but its in spanish, couldnt find you an English version. but here it is anyway, plenty of graphics.
http://www.icuc-iwmi.org/files/Publications/Pouteria_manual.pdf

By cooincidence I will be planting both Annona and Mangosteen, and will be taking pictures and keeping records, I will post them later. ( if successful )

o

I have gotten almost 100% germination on lychee seed by planting them directly from the fruit.
Patsy

o

Thanks everyone! Will post pictures soon!

Here what's to look forward to:

- Mangosteen sprouts
- Citrus Sprouts
- White Sapote
- Mamey Sapotes
- Lychees out the wazoo
- Coffees
- Mangos
- Monstera saplings!
- Jackfruit seedling

Woohoo!

o

I am excited that I am getting first fruits on my star fruit tree that I started from seed. Have had blooms before but this is the first time there has been fruit to set. Isn't it exciting to get free and unusual trees? I tried one of my date palms in the ground here in zone 8 two years ago and surprisingly it has survived even with ice hanging off it one winter.
Patsy

o

Where does one get white sapote seeds in the first place? Was looking around for these, loquat seeds and paw paw seeds and was striking out so thought I'd ask.

o

Hi, I am looking for someone who can supply me with fresh blackgold jackfruit seeds or other variety, so that I can buy them! if someone can supply with the seeds please dont hesitate to e-mail me! stevenmadz@hotmail.com

o

Hi:

I am looking for seeds for Sapote and Jackfruit and I live in California near San Jose. I can use some help in how or where I can find the seeds.

Thanks
Regards
Narasimha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here