Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing From Seed

Posted by Sklotus 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 3:00

Hello, my name is Soto and I am somewhat new to the whole gardening scene. I would like some advice on growing some plants from seed.

Ok so, i have received some supposed Yoshino Cherry Flowering seeds along with Mammoth Russian Sunflower seeds, Acer Rubrum seeds, and finally some Blue Wisteria seeds.

If anyone has any info on stratification/germination methods, any growing tips or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated. I was looking to turn a few of these into bonsai trees but i would like to focus on getting these babies started.

Additionally, i would like to get these seeds planted ASAP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing From Seed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 12:34

Sunflower - direct sow about a week after last frost, placing seed about 1" deep.

Acer rubrum , sow at once upon ripening, or soak, then sow approx 9 weeks at 39F (stratify, a period of moist cold), then move stratified seeds to 70F for germination

Wisteria from seed can take more than 10 years to bloom if you were wanting a blooming bonsai, seed grown wisteria is typically used only in grafting for root stock. Sow about 3/4" deep at 65-70F, should germinate in 30-60 days.

Prunus x yedoensis (Yoshino Cherry):
2 - 3 months cold stratification and is best sown as soon as it is ripe. Sow in a cold frame as early in the year as possible. The seed can be slow, sometimes taking multiple cycles of fluctuating temperatures, 18 months to germinate.

o

Ok so what method should i use to stratify/germinate?
Is there any way to speed up the stratification/ germination period for the Punus x yedoensis?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 15:50

This time of year, I would sow the seed, wrap the pot with saran wrap and secure with a rubber band or put the pot in a zip lock bag, and put it in the refrigerator. If space is at a premium, you can put the seed in a small amount of sterile moist sand or sterile moist vermiculite, just a couple of teaspoons is often enough, in a small zip lock and refrigerate that. Later in the year, I would put the pots outside rather than refrigerate, my winters will often average to about 40F.

And no, there is not a good way to shorten the period needed to stratify. If the periods provided that are needed to break dormancy are too brief, you may have to begin again and lose time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here