Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to seed starting and need help

Posted by jerryngeorgia31557 8 (jerryfkimbrell@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 3:01

I have just gotten lemon balm, crepe myrtle, lantana, and bottle brush seeds and was wanting advise on how to propagate them and wondering if it is too late in the year to set them. I am in South Georgia and our summers are long here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for you help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to seed starting and need help

For lemon balm soak overnight in water and cover lightly with soil. I don't know about crepe myrtle. I soak lantana seeds in water overnight, rub off the black "fruit" and plant the seed about 1/2 under the soil, keep warm. Transplant lantana and lemon balm to the garden when big enough to handle or they can be direct sown (lemon balm can be invasive). For bottlebrush just sprinkle on moist soil, put the pot in a baggie to retain moisture and put somewhere warm, out of direct sun. Once the seeds sprout open the baggie and slowly adjust the seedlings to less humidity. The seedlings are quite tiny. Once they are big enough to handle transplant to individual containers. Lantana and lemon balm seedlings are much bigger then bottlebrush seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here