Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2_gw

Growing Castor Beans from my own seeds

flora2
14 years ago

I'd better explain what I mean. Last year--and the year before--I grew castor beans and saved the seedpods which had very many small, very black seeds. When I planted these they never grew. People here clarified this for me and told me it was because the seeds had not been pollinated. I garden organically and have a few fruit trees in the same area that get a decent amount of fruit. How come these seeds are not beeing pollinated and how do I fix this problem? Thanks a lot

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

You could try just shaking the plant (as opposed to taking a small paint brush and dabbing at the flowers), but according to hort.edu.purdue, Castor bean is both self- and cross-pollinated by wind so unless grown in a greenhouse or indoors your plants should be pollinated without help. I wonder if your climate doesn't have more to do with it, these are tropicals...too many consecutive days with high or low temperatures, or inadequate water/dry soils will cause failure of seed set.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I've always seen seed set and ripen on time with my plants. I think you should sake the plant - it looks like the way the flowers are clustered, pollen would drop from flower to flower.

• flora2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morz: I have been talking to other people about this issue and you might be right. Not hot enough? Although some people have told me they know people that have theirs "ripen" and produce seeds. Beside shaking them (which I will try--thanks origami master) can any one think of any other "tricks" to get to ripen? Maybe a "wall of water" think to increase heat? Thanks a lot

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Never had any problem with my Castor Beans sprouting. In fact mine explode and re-seed themselves. I have found my seeds don't seem to grown very well since I moved away from the Coast but I am beginning to believe I have very poor soil in my new location as they had to be killed off before to keep too many from sprouting all over my yard.

• medontdo
    14 years ago

what if you planted a container of clovers nearby them?? the bee's would be attracted to the clovers and then the bee's might go to the castor beans? i have clovers all over in my yard, hubs hates it, but i refuse to get rid of it because i have such great pollination of the plants in my yard!! **big smile** ~Medo

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Clover is wonderful I can't understand why anyone wouldn't enjoy the flowers as well as the smell. We don't have clover, what we have here is something that looks like clover but put on burrs and need to be killed before it gets started or it will spread all over our yards. When I lived in Michigan we use to suck on the blooms for the sweet taste plus try to find those 4-leaf clovers. It is a pretty plant so whats not to like?