Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandevillalover

crape myrtle seeds

mandevillalover
16 years ago

hi there, i'm new here, and i was wondering if anyone would have crape myrtle seeds they would like to share. i would really appreciate it. crape myrtle are so beautiful i just have to get some. so if anyone has any to share i would really appreciate it. my address is

elma remando

1216 ave k north

saskatoon,sask

canada

s7l2n9. ps. i have recieved seeds from the usa all the time with no problems, what so ever. so if there's anyone out who like to share some seeds, i'd be so thankful. elma

Comments (15)

• frugaljenny
    16 years ago

I have a crape myrtle that has seed pods hanging on it and I am obviously new at the seed part of things. If I just take those will they be growable? Please excuse my ignorance, but if I can help, I'd be more than happy to!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

The seedling crape myrtles will likely not have the same characteristics as their hybrid parents.

Elma, it's probably not wise to post your name and address on such a public forum. Best to avoid that in the future. ;-(

Jenny, if you do decide to send seeds, you may want to contact your post office ahead of time to find out how they want you to pack them. There might be some restrictions or specifics.

• mandevillalover
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi there i haven't had a reply if anyone would like to share some crape myrtle seeds. thank you kindly i hope i get a reply. elma

• webkat5
    16 years ago

What are you planning to do with seedling Crape Myrtles in Zone 2?

While they are very easy to start from seed, they will not survive your winter....

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Crape Myrtle is a popular landscaping tree, at least here in BKF. I have some on the property and they are very easily germinated from fallen flowers that contain the seeds, so much so that they can be problematic. I have baby Crape Myrtle growing from cracks in sidewalks where flowers blown by wind have gotten lodged.

I would suggest that if you want Crape Myrtle seeds, go find a tree with the color you prefer and either pick-up or take a few of the flowers. If you feel the least bit guilty about taking something off somebody else's tree, just walk up under the tree and if you get close enough, the flowers will stick in your hair.

Really, they germinate very easily. I have Crape Myrtle sprouting in pots where I am trying to grow other plants! The flowers fall in the pot and the next thing I know, I'm a Crape Myrtle farmer. Oleanders are another tree that seems to spread easily from fallen seeds and the worst of all ... Pepper Trees. These messy trees drop tons of pepper corns in the autumn, creating a sticky mess on sidewalks and in Spring, little Pepper Tree sappling start coming up in armies.

You should have no trouble finding very fertile Crape Myrtle Seeds.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

bearstate, the original poster is from CANADA, zone 2.

You cannot pick the flowers of crape myrtles and expect to find seeds. Fallen flowers are not the way that crape myrtles spread around so readily, it's those wind-blown seeds that scatter everywhere.

Long after the flowers have faded, green seed pods will form on the tree. Even then, the seeds will not be viable until those pods have 'ripened' (turned brown) on the tree. At that time, the pods will crack open on their own, releasing several small, dried seeds.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Hadn't noticed the pods. All I've noticed is that where-ever the flowers seem to fall, I've got little Crapes coming up! But Autumn approacheth. Maybe I'll collect up some seeds for mandevillalover and mail 'em off later this year.

Something else I noticed ... once a Crape Myrtle starts growing in a crack in the concrete, there's no way it seems, to kill it. Cutting the rising stems, just gives way to more later on.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

Ok, I went and had a look and ...

Here's a white flowered Crape Myrtle ( Very Fertile ) ..

{{gwi:242777}}

Here's its prodgeny growing out of concrete near the patio fence line ...

{{gwi:242778}}

And here're some seed pods, old dry ones in the top background and young green ones in lower foreground ...

{{gwi:242780}}

And here we have a more clinical view of old and new pods ...

{{gwi:242782}}

Note that there are no seeds in the old pods which kind of remind of arbor vitae or pladycladus cones.

You're right, these things don't have seeds in the fallen flowers. They form pods which dry out and the seeds come from those dried pods.

I guess I owe someone some seeds.

• bearstate
    16 years ago

These folks sell a packet of 20 Crape Myrtle seeds for $2.00 US.

http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com

They are in Kentucky.

• schellehawk89
    16 years ago

My question is this.....can you take the seed pods from the tree before they turn brown? The tree I want them from is going to be pushed down for a new highway. It was my deceased Grandmother's tree. I truly want to grow trees from this one, but I don't know how long the tree will be there. I need to know if the pods can be taken before they turn brown. I would let them dry out at home, if possible. Please, someone give me an answer.
    Schelle

• tmorrell_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Wanted to bring this thread back because I have the same question as the last post. A friend gave me about 15 green seed pods and was wondering what is the best way to dry them out and if the seeds would be viable.

• ri.gardengirl
    14 years ago

Hi, joined this forum becuase I need some advice. I searched the internet and found a place to order perinneal seeds. I went by the on-line pictures and made sure I could grow them in zone 6. Now have my seeds. Two of the seeds I bought are called Paulownia tomentosa also known as Empress Tree and Kochia Tricophylla also known as Burning Bush. I also searched on-line to get more information for sowing and germinating the seeds. In the process of trying to educate myself, I'm reading other information which is making me think I shouldn't plant them at all. It seems I have purchased plants that are invasive! Also I was confused to find the "Burning bush" by a different name other than the Kochia Tricophylla. Are there two kinds of these plants. Should I stay away from them?

• ri.gardengirl
    14 years ago

To: rhizo_1
    I'm curious as to why you say that the seedling crape myrtles will likely not have the same characteristics as their hybrid parents. Why not?

• eden_starr
    14 years ago

I'm living in Houston and Crape Myrtles are EXTREMELY prevalent here!

I thought that I would write a little bit for the questions that I have read using the knowledge that I have gained about this beautiful tree.

1. Crape Myrtles come in MANY colors and I have MANY seeds from most of them. Purple, candy purple with whitish edging, lavender, very dark pink, dark pink, pink, light pink, red, and white.

2. The Crape Myrtle seeds need a three month dormancy period, so after you gather your seeds, put them in the fridge for three months. The Crape Myrtle is a deciduous tree and should be sown in the spring.

3. You can also take the small progeny that grow up around the trunks of the main tree...separate them off...and grow a new one!

4. Depending on your growing zone and your needs, the Crape Myrtle can be any size you'd like. If you live in more northerly zones, potting it and keeping it small is just a matter of trimming it! I have seen testimony of growers having 20 ft. trees as far north as Oregon!

5. Because the Crape Myrtle is drought tolerant, it isn't the amount of water that makes it bloom...but the amount of sun light! A Crape Myrtle needs at least 8 hours of sun a day to grow it's best and most beautiful halos of flora.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email.

=D HAPPY GROWING!

• tigerlilly_2010
    13 years ago

What month should i transplant ? 3 year old trees i need to move ? sept ok ?