Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings drooping...

Posted by jardin_de_maria 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 7:40

On Sunday, I planted Mammoth Sunflower seeds. They sprouted pretty quickly.

Three days after planting:

But as of last night they were like this, drooping:

Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings drooping...

No it is not normal. Your seedlings are leggy from lack of light and they just fell over. Just look at the stem--It is too weak to hold the leaves up.

Why are you starting them inside? In your zone they could have been started outside long ago

o

Aw man. Stupid me. They are sunflowers!! I don't know why I did that.

So leave them outside and they should be fine in a few days...?

o

yes - they should be okay. Watch out though - they will dry quickly if it is hot out and may cook. You may want to transplant them ASAP

o

Don't forget to harden them off. They will burn to a crisp if you just stick them in the sun.

o

• Posted by josko Cape Cod 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 7:17

I'm having a similar problem with my brassicas. Had no problem raising rapini, broccoli and cabbage from seedlings indoors this March, but now, in the same flats, my (hopefully) second crop of brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage are all putting up weak, long seedlings that fall over. They look a lot like the seedling pictures above.
I moved them into the sun - they get 5-6 hrs of direct + 4-5 hrs of dappled sunlight daily (if it's summy), although it's been cloudy since they came up.
One obvious difference is heat - first crop was in 60-65, and now it's 70-80 outside.
I feel kind of silly firing up grow lights again in the basement, but may have to if I can't figure out a way to make the summer brassicas seedlings stockier.

o

I had the same problem thanks for your answer, how do you harden them if the lack of sunlight makes them droop and its 90 -100 here will that burn them should i put a draped screen about them thanks

o

I put them in full sun and despite the scorching heat, after a week, they started standing up fine and I transplanted them into the ground so now they have more room. They look great. A couple of lower leaves died but I just removed them and the plants are standing up straight and healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here