Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violas and Primrose a bust

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 7:43

I tried starting violas and primrose from seed in a self watering seed starting tray. I covered the violas with cardboard to give darkness until they sprouted. Every container sprouted, and when they were all tiny little 1 cm sprouts I removed the cardboard to give them light. They all stayed spindly, flopped over, and died.

The primrose barely germinated, I think I only got maybe a 25% germination rate, and then a hot spell killed them all.

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions? Im no master gardener, but usually I dont have quite this bad a black thumb. Would direct seeding be a better route? is it too late to DS in Z5 (Northern Indiana)?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violas and Primrose a bust

I wintersowed violas and ended up with about a thousand seedlings! They're in the ground as of last week and have doubled in size (are now about an inch tall). Maybe if this year is a wash for you you could try wintersowing. I think you can direct sow violas anytime, wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck!

o

Primrose seeds need light and really cool temperatures to germinate.Once the day temps stay over 65 the seeds go dormant.It's hard to germinate them without a cool greenhouse.They should be sown no later than the middle of February since day length also affects them.You could try winter sowing them or sow them indoors in January but keep them in a cool bright room.Barnhaven in France has seed of some beautiful forms. Their site is worth a look if you want to go through all that.

o

Okay, thanks! I'll try wintersowing the violas next year. I LOVE wintersowing. This was my first year, and I'm addicted. I guess I didnt realize I was buying into a fussy plant when I got the primrose. They rarely advertise that on the seed sites sadly.

Thanks for letting me know!

o

Violas should be easy. I suspect to much water with your self watering system. Mine have been blooming for weeks, and last years came back which was unexpected.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 19:17

For years I tried growing pansies/violas from seed, indoors. Tried everything, never very good germination. 2 years ago I Wintersowed them, and couldn't believe the germination I got. This year I did 16 containers of pansies/violas, took me a whole day to plant them out, the germination was at least 90%. To me, it only makes sense, pansies/violas are a cold weather plant. Pansies are my favorite flower and now I can have as many as I want. I'll never sow them any other way.
Shirley!

o

I wintersowed five containers of primrose and got very high germination. They were planted out probably three weeks ago and are thriving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here