Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Black Oil Sunflowers

Posted by Hypochondriac CT (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 7:53

I'm trying to grow black oil sunflowers. I need some help. Completely new to growing.

I placed seeds in peat pellets. Placed a few under the dome of the box they came in. Placed another in a ziplock bag near a heating source. The one in the ziplock has germinated. Picture attached.

Now what do i do? several sites suggest different things. Some state i should keep it in the bag until it grows more, others suggest add potting soil to the bag and place the pellet in that. one also mentioned placing it in the garden as is.

Rather then use fertilizer can i use coffee grounds in the soil?

This post was edited by Hypochondriac on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 9:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Black Oil Sunflowers

If I were back there (Branford) I'd have the seeds directly in the ground now. If weather was getting in the way of all that I'd germinate in the peat pellets. If weather was STILL in the way I'd put the pellets in cups with dirt once the roots started to get aggressive as the peat has no real nutritive value.

o

Thanks, so your advice is to place the seeds and the pellet in the soil? Do I completely cover the pellet and germinated seed? Or should I leave the green part that's sprouting exposed?

o

Wait for leaves and don't bury them. Sunflowers tend to be leggy but only bury the (pellets and) roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here