Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinnia - Seed germination

Posted by adatt (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 9:34

I have sown Zinnia seeds two days back.
In How many days should i expect sprouting?
Temperature in my place is around 45 Centigrade ( 104 Fahrenheit) , is it too late for sowing). What kind of condition would be best if i want to see so my plants growing.
How often water should be given to seeds??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinnia - Seed germination

Sprouts should be seen anywhere from a weeek to 2 weeks depending on the variety.

Wow 45 celcius, germination is best at a lower temperature for starters like 21 celcius. So If you have anywhere that you can put the plants that it would be cooler that would be best.

Seeds should always be kept moist not saturated but moist. Even after they sprout they should be kept moist, I water daily on my new seeds but my temperatures are no where near yours. Right now the temps here are averaging 26 celcius. So with your climate you may have to water twice a day.

o

I have sown it in manure mix ( compose mix) will sowing directly in soil b better

o

Zinnias germinate in 3 days at 70 degrees and don't need any water for at least a week. I plant in a mix of peat and vermiculite and water from the bottom when planted. Al

o

21 celcius = 70 farhenheight, 45 celcius = 113 farhenheight

If planted in your composte I think that would help the process along yes. You can always transplant when about 2 inches high. Some do direct so them but you are still going to have to make sure you have a cooler place for the seeds to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celcius to Farhenheight Converter

o

I have searched from Google and here are the information I found out. A brief description about zinnia and the seed germination.

Zinnia (Zinnia elegans)

Zinnia is a genus of 20 species of annual and perennial plants of family Asteraceae, originally from scrub and dry grassland in an area stretching from the American Southwest to South America, but primarily Mexico, and notable for their solitary long-stemmed flowers that come in a variety of bright colors.

70 Germination
Temperature
(Fahrenheit)

D Lighting

5-7 Days to
Germination

5 Weeks Sowing
to Planting

o

eek...Zinnias are usually so easy. but mine just died big time. One site says indoor seedlings only want an inch a week.

Q: Now I hear they like lots of water? Or 1 inch a week?

Can I start new seedlings? ( I can't sow outside due to community garden rules)

Do those no-transplant bioDeg. pots get soggy?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here