Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Jasmine- tips & tricks?

Posted by vajeff 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 9:46

Any tips or tricks on how to get star jasmine seeds to germinate? Do these seeds require heat or cold to germinate? Do they need light? Should they be constantly moist?

I've soaked them, nicked them, used the bag method, etc. etc. etc. For some reason, mold and scum seem to adore these seeds. I'm constantly having to wash them off with fungicides and peroxide. Although I opened one of the soaked seeds to see what was going on (and it had definitely formed cotyledons inside), perhaps they just aren't viable. They were given to me and not part of the original bunch I hand picked... so maybe.

So far, I've only managed to get one to sprout. It sprouted after soaking for a few days, removing the silks (they got kind of... gross and fell off), and going in a hydroponics system so I could forget about it while it did its thing. I'm probably forgetting a few steps that I took, but I do remember having to constantly spray it down with fungicide. This is starting to become just a little frustrating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Jasmine- tips & tricks?

As you I have not had any luck germination the seed of this plant I only use cuttings:
I take cuttings of firm new growth (June or July) applu 0.1 to 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 30-70 days to root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here