Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Seedlings in Al's Gritty Mix

Posted by Dave6802 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:51

I have two young seedlings that I have planted in Al's gritty mix - one Wisteria Sinensis and one W. Sinensis Alba. They are outside and have been very slow to get started. They currently have 3 -4 sets of leaves but seem to have stalled. They are in clay pots and I have just added a clay tray underneath to keep the moisture level a little higher. My question is will they thrive in the standard 1-1-1 gritty mix or should I add 15% peat to the mix to increase moisture retention.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Seedlings in Al's Gritty Mix

You are will want to transplant the seed to a soil mix close to your garden soil...
Reamber wisteria from seed will take about 5 years to flower...

o

Do you intend to grow these in pots long-term, or are they intended to go in the ground at some point?

o

I fail to see any reason why you cannot grow them in the gritty mix. I would water more often, not look for more retentive mix, which would negate the reason for using the gritty mix. Use a weak fertilizer such as half a teaspoon per gallon of Foliage Pro every time you water. In gritty mix it is easy to underwater, but almost impossible to over water. Al

o

Thanks all for the comments. Here is a quick update.

I am planning to grow these as bonsai. I started from seeds and now have one each Wisteria Sinensis and W. Sinensis Alba growing. I know it will be years before they bloom, but think how exciting that day will be!

So - I have added a saucer under both to create some perched water. I read this suggestion at a bonsai forum and thought I would try it. It seems to be working, both seedlings are now growing well again. From what I have read they do not like to have dry feet, so this approach seemed to work best for me. I want to keep most of my bonsai in the basic 1-1-1 gritty mix as it works very well for my others. The only exceptions are my 3 giant sequoia trees. I planted them in the 1-1-1 mix with 15% peat moss by volume and no lime - they are growing exceptionally well.

As for the foliage pro, I shoot for 50 ppm nitrogen - 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is about 59 ppm and seems to be working well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here