Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update: Sparkler Guara

Posted by bugbite z9a FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 10:18

I was really high on the new seed - Sparkler Guaras. As they grew from seed to young plant I was impressed. But after blooming for about 2 months now my final conclusion is they rate about a "C". I will not replant anything that is lower then a "A-".
I have 150 Sparkler Guara plants in many ground and sun locations. I will admit that they are consistent, which is a plus. But they do not bush out like my other guaras (I have many others, all volunteers). They produce several lanky wanes (stems) at a time. The "wanes" are very long and produces one open flower at a time. Unlike others which can open 3 at a time producing a nice bloom cluster. So the flowers come and go without fanfare and a long wane is left. I tried cutting back with no improvement. Finally in a drastic measure I sheared a section down to about 12 inches. Will see how that turns out.
Again another acclaimed "winner" that is not a winner for me. Mine should have been a great yard for these guaras because volunteer guaras do so well in my yard.
Anyone else trying these?
Thanks,
Bob

This post was edited by bugbite on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 10:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update: Sparkler Guara

Well, Bob, they were a definite winner for us in Michigan, so I guess it can be somewhat attributed to your specific climate

o

Thanks Goblugal. That's great to hear. About what date did they achieve full glory in your garden? Would love to see your pictures to know what they can achieve. We seem to have a great climate for guaras. The rest of mine do so well. My Sparkles have produced plants like the picture provided by LSU in their trials last year. I thought perhaps that the LSU climate is a true ideal climate since the plant originated in Texas/Louisiana.
Thanks,
Bob

o

Interesting. I was going to try them but didn't get around to ordering them. Thanks for the update.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here