Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Palm In Bloom, I see a seed pod. Help !

Posted by cocoabeachlorax 9B (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 10:47

I am beyond excited. I've fallen in love with this type of Palm and I am intrigued at the thought of catching some seeds and attempting to sow them. I'm giddy at the thought of tiny baby Lady Palms sprouting.

So, now that I've been blessed with a bloom, and I've located the seed pod, can anyone give me any guidance at all. About how long until the pod opens ? Should I put a tight weave mesh bag around it gently to catch the seeds or are they large enough to be visible once they fall ? Anyone know length of time from planting to first signs of growth ? Do I soak the seeds for any length of time ? I'm scared someone will say scarify (is that the word), as I've never had to do that before and would worry I'd do it wrong and ruin the seeds.

I do not have any professional misting systems. I am a recreational seed starter and a new one at that so this will have to be done simply and with the basics (no heating pads).

Being in zone 9B I have nightime temperatures that are probably high enough and certainly high enough day time temps.

Any advice is welcomed and to maintain web ettiquette in case anyone was wondering I am going to cross post this at the Palm forum as well in case you feel this is better suited elsewhere.

Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Palm In Bloom, I see a seed pod. Help !

Would anyone agree that this is good information ? It looks like bottom heat should not be necessary if I sow them outside right now based on our recent temperatures. It also looks like although the seeds are just a few millimeters the pod should open and the fruit will ripen and I'll have time to monitor the situation and hopefully collect the ripe fruit ?

I would really love to hear from anyone who has done this or seen it done.

Here is a link that might be useful: general palm germination information...

o
RE: Lady Palm In Bloom, I see a seed pod. Help !

hi there...id advice you to take have a look at rarepamseeds.com,am sure you will gain the information you're seeking plus,its a whole community of palms seed,they do have cool tips on how to get 100% germination..

i did tried some technique and invented some of my own..they were successfull,,but some seeds might take few months while some might take 4-7 days to germinate eg christmas palm,very elegant,grows fast and easy to maintain...

i just started my blog and am gonna post few cool tips bout palm trees..feel free if you wanna share any tips or comment..

hope its helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: exotic palm trees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here