Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

Lady Palm In Bloom, I see a seed pod. Help !

cocoabeachlorax
13 years ago

I am beyond excited. I've fallen in love with this type of Palm and I am intrigued at the thought of catching some seeds and attempting to sow them. I'm giddy at the thought of tiny baby Lady Palms sprouting.

So, now that I've been blessed with a bloom, and I've located the seed pod, can anyone give me any guidance at all. About how long until the pod opens ? Should I put a tight weave mesh bag around it gently to catch the seeds or are they large enough to be visible once they fall ? Anyone know length of time from planting to first signs of growth ? Do I soak the seeds for any length of time ? I'm scared someone will say scarify (is that the word), as I've never had to do that before and would worry I'd do it wrong and ruin the seeds.

I do not have any professional misting systems. I am a recreational seed starter and a new one at that so this will have to be done simply and with the basics (no heating pads).

Being in zone 9B I have nightime temperatures that are probably high enough and certainly high enough day time temps.

Any advice is welcomed and to maintain web ettiquette in case anyone was wondering I am going to cross post this at the Palm forum as well in case you feel this is better suited elsewhere.

Thank you so much.

Comments (2)