Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Stratify Hardy Kiwi Seeds?

Posted by plantlover13 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 10:57

Hello.I recently bought some hardy kiwi seeds. I know they need stratification, so how do i do it? i have taken the packet, stuck it in a sealed ziplock bag to keep out the moisture, and stuck that in my refrigerator. Will this do? also, can i overcome the need for stratification with GA3?

Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Stratify Hardy Kiwi Seeds?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:46

Do you know which actinidia? A. arguta appears to respond well to 3 months cold stratification while A. kolomikta may germinate better if given a warm moist period of a few weeks before the chill, then chilled, and finally brought back to warm.

In any case, placing the seed packet in the refrigerator doesn't do it, that's only storage - cool and dry is how you would want to preserve seeds, opposite of promoting germination. The cold/chill must be moist, you don't want to prevent moisture from breaching the seed coat. Put the seeds with a tsp or two of moist sterile sand, or moist sterile vermiculite in a zip lock, date it, and put that into your refrigerator. (harder seeds you would soak first, then place in the damp medium) When the suggested time is up, sow the contents of baggie, sand/vermiculite and all, no need to extract the seeds.

o

would GA3 get rid of the need for stratification? i like shortcuts :)

o

Hi plantlover,

Well, I've never tried growing Kiwi but I doubt that using GA3 would really help. In the past I've tried using GA3 on different seeds, and frankly I didn't see much difference in the germination times.

However, there is a pretty good web page (see link below) that may be helpful to you. What ever you try, I wish you the best of luck!

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Kiwi from seed.

o

whoa, i don't even need stratification?

But wait, that's a different kiwi ?

o

Oh, sorry, I missed the fact that you were trying to grow the hardy kiwi. The hardy type may need stratification. Hopefully someone who has grown them from seed will come along and offer more help.

Art

o

Does anyone know how long dried kiwi seeds will stay viable at room temperature?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here