Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transition seedlings from a Jiffy greenhouse?

Posted by jimigunne 9A (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 11:05

I am starting tomatoes in Jiffy "greenhouse" seed starter trays, with the little peat pots that are about 1.5 x 1.5 in. per cell. Of the ones that come up, few of them survive once transplanted to a new larger plastic or peat pot. Like, I have one tray that only has about 12 seedlings, which are two-leaved and around 2in long. The starter mix is sphagnum peat moss with 50% each of perlite and vermiculite, its supposed to be the ideal sprouting medium. From my experience with the the past trays of seedlings, I will be doing good if 4 survive to fruit-bearing size of the dozen that germinated. I just pull apart the cells that have a seedling when they are at this 2-3in. with 2 leaves stage, and put the peat pot in a much larger pot....I use mostly BACCTO potting soil I continue to keep them out of direct sunlight for some days, until looks like they are doing good, then put them near the edge of the carport where they begin getting at first a little direct sunlight, then more and more. Maybe once a week, I give them horse manure compost tea, (with a little Superthrive if beginning to look sickly). Also, on the initial transplant from the sprouting cell to larger pot, I give them compost tea with Superthrive mix.
What should I do to get a better survival rate?
This new batch of seedlings is heatwave II rather than Celebrity, as here in S. Texas, the temps are already hitting 100 deg. on some days. Appreciate any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transition seedlings from a Jiffy greenhouse?

Read through this FAQ from the tomato forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - tomatoes from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here