Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to start nectarine tree

Posted by fuzzy158 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 11:25

I have saved the seeds from some nectarines I bought at the market. I am wondering if I can plant trees. Anyone out there know how/when to start them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to start nectarine tree

Store seed at 40F for 12 weeks THEN Lightly cover soil temperature 65-70 taking 120-365 days for germination.
Tree will be slow to flower & produce fruit..... Fruit will not be exactly like the parent. so seedling used as root stock & graft a known tree to it...

o
RE: how to start nectarine tree

Thank you! I will put my seeds in the frige today, that would have me planting at the end of September. Does that seem a reasonable time to plant? I dont understand the last part of your post, following the ellipsis (...) Fruit will not be exactly like the parent? What might it be? Might I leave it alone to grow into whatever it will, or is that a bad idea? My sister in law knows how to graft trees, and has offered to show me, but is this necessary, and what benefits are there to grafting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here