Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopin4rain

Seeds as easy as sunflowers

hopin4rain (7A TN)
13 years ago

I am planning on growing my own flowers for my wedding. My mother owns 20 acres that she is willing to let me plant on. I plan to get one of my neighbors to till the soil for me with his tractor and then I am going to plant different seeds on the land. I am looking for plants that don't need a lot of care (like sunflowers) because I can not baby 20 acres worth of flowers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

I live in zone 7. The land has no trees at all so it is FULL SUN. Annuals or perenials are both fine... although annuals may be better because I will be planting them that spring and need them to be blooming that summer. Color does not matter. Thanks

Comments (5)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

There is one flaw in your plan--BUGS. If you have earwigs or slugs around they will have them chewed down to the nubs as soon as they emerge. If you plan on going ahead and aren't fussy about the color and such plant it in wildflowers native to your area and throw in a few calendula seeds. They will have the best chance of surviving and some wildflowers are every bit as nice as the cultivated flowers.

Another flaw is the timing of your wedding. It is very hard to get flowers at the peak of perfection on the day you need them. You might go to all the expense and work of growing them and mother nature throws a wrench in the works and you end up with no flowers.

There have been many brides write in to this site wanting to grow flowers for their wedding. The consensus of everyone answering is go with a florist. Your wedding day is too important to trust the whims of mother nature

• susan2010
    13 years ago

Not disputing the difficulties, but for a suggestion - Zinnias. There are so many gorgeous varieties - lovely colors, and very easy to grow with very little care. Most perennials would only be an option if you were getting married in two years. They don't flower much the first year if you're starting them from seed.

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

This sounds so adventurous! :) I've always thought, though, that a wedding would be neat with nothing but greenery. Everything from tropical foliage to conifers. No flowers, just the shades of green, yellow, red, orange, etc that different leaves have. Or this may be my subtle way of taking the easy way out...

Have you looked into the miniature sunflowers? They come in an overwhelming variety and are very pretty. I know Burpee has quite a few.

Kim

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

I've flowers all year long from a package of mixed wildflower seed. Some are big, some are small. Some last a long time and some only open at sunrise and are gone by noon. However it is much easier than planning and you can be almost assured of some flowers of some sort when you want them. Oh, no sunflowers in the mix. I would think that the best chance of getting sunflowers when you need them, and the cheapest, is to use those little black sunflower seed found in bird food.

Right now, among others, I've a bright yellow something that will last as a cut flower for seven or eight days.

• lorrainebecker
    13 years ago

Where I am the annuals I grow by just sprinkling the seeds and letting them alone are: zinnias, cosmos, bachelor buttons, snapdragons, and calendula.