Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adenium Obesum (Desert Rose)

Posted by reefmedic79 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 11:46

I've been trying my luck at growing Adenium from seeds, I get about 90% success of the seeds germinating and sprouting to the point were they've got three to four leaves. After that they don't seem to grow anymore, and start to fall over at the soil line and then slowly wither away. Below the soil the root/base of the caudex seems to shrivel up as if it isn't getting enough water, but I've been keeping it watered about 2-3 times a week. I live in Central Florida, so we've got the heat they like and I grow mine outdoors. I use a self mixed soil of 2 parts potting soil 1 part limestone sand, and half a part of perlite.

My theory is that I'm over watering after they sprout the first leaves, and may be causing root rot.

What do yall think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adenium Obesum (Desert Rose)

I know nothing about this plant but it sounds very much like it. The name of this plant must speak for itself. You usually can't go wrong if you look at the origins of a plant and try to emulate the conditions of where the plant naturally grows

o

Hi ree,
You may want to go over to the cactus and succulent forum and try doing a search. If you dont find your answeres, just post your question there.

Alot of people in that forum grow this plant.

Good luck,
JoJo

o

Once they sprout they need to be kept lightly moistened, not wet. I agree it sounds like you may have over-watered. Allow the surface of the soil to dry a bit before watering again. The amount of water needed decreases as they get bigger and they should get almost no water over the winter. Use a well draining mix but not sure about limestone sand. Try something neutral like sharp or builders sand or forget the sand and just use the perlite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here