Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Is there an easy way to collect a large patch of seed?

TxMarti
10 years ago

I usually just snip each head off, but I have a large patch of Indian blanket that I'd like not to go to seed in that same place. It's too tall to mow with a grass catcher mower. Any other way to collect all the seed without spending hours cutting off heads?

Comments (3)

• mauch1
    10 years ago

If you have a sickle (grass hook) it would be faster than gathering one at a time -- but it is still quite a bit of work.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But then the seed heads would fall to the ground and I want to collect the seed, not only to prevent reseeding there, but to put it in another area.

I use a hedge clipper when I'm just dead heading and don't care where the seed goes.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

If there is sufficient distance between these plants and others, you'd need to lay down sheeting to collect the seed. Try to make it curve up a little at the outer edges to act like an umbrella- a few rocks or whatever. You can use any material you like depending on weather and circumstances - newspaper, old sheeting, plastic tablecloths or dropcloths. But if plastic of course it WILL hold water if it rains, you'd need to collect seed more frequently. This is probably a better way if you intend to cut all the plants down - you'll catch falling seed and stop it reaching the ground. The rest of the plants can be put somewhere warm and airy for any remaining seed to shed.