Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie: Canterbury bells seed question

Posted by gardenlover_7 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 12:15

Hi all:

I do love gardening and visit this website quite often and thanks to all of you, I learned a lot about seed starting.

I have a question on canterbury bells. Although, I grow a few easy annuals, I never grew canterbury bells before. I really loved the picture on the seed packet and so ended up buying a few seeds in March. However, the directions on the packet said that I should not sow them like all other flowers (after the frost date) but should wait until June to sow them. In the meantime, I did some research and mostly it is (mostly seed company sites) recommended to sow them in a cold frame which I don't have. I really love to grow them, what should I do? By the way, I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and we typically get frost in the first week of November. Is there time for me to sow or shoudl I wait until next year? Please, please give me some info on what to do.

Thanks in Advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie: Canterbury bells seed question

Do NOT COVER seed soil temp 70F takes 14 to 21 days to germinate. growing on temp 55-65F & takes 11-15 weeks to be large enough to set out green.... you count the time & compair to your area

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 13:07

Often these are sown latest spring or early summer for blooms the second year. This plant is a biennial which produces foliage the first year - flowers the second year so you'll start it now for next years flowers. Then if you like it well enough, you can take the seeds from those flowers and do it again next summer, keeping those bells going in your garden.

o

I just sowed some recently...I think I got in the spring spirit and got over zealous. I think I should be fine since our springs can get hot and turn into summer on a dime. I put them in the shade per the directions and planted a lot of seeds. We will see what happens?? I will direct sow some later as well to see if any take.

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 4:58

Some biennials benefit from being sown earlier than recommended (i.e. at the time you'd normally sow annuals), in that they make really good-size plants with plenty of flowers next year. It works really well with Digitalis.

o

gardenlover 7,
this might help you a bit:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Schmidt's Canterbury Bell Page

o

Does anyone have a picture of Canterbury Bell Seeds and new growth?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here