Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Echinacea Varieties

Posted by dremusicmd Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 12:24

This question may totally label me as a novice but can all the really interesting Echinacea (Rasberry Truffle, Milkshake, FIrebird, Green Envy, etc) only be grown from root division? Was hoping to find some seeds of those varieties but I realize they are hybrids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Echinacea Varieties

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 15:54

Echinacea may be propagated by seed or division, but hybrid cultivars will not come true from seed. If you find someone growing the plants who is willing to share seed, a percentage of the seedlings produced may have some of the characteristics you like in the parents, or its possible too that none of the seedlings may have them.

Add to that not all the hybrid echinacea will produce viable seed, a couple of the hybrids I've purchased did not set seed while I was growing those, one I know was E. Evan Saul, I don't know without looking it up which the other was...

Remember too that most of the new hybrids are patented, making their propagation illegal, although you won't end up 'doing time' for buying, then dividing your own plants for your own use ;)

o

Thanks morz8! I didn't think about them being patented. No nursery near me grows the more exotic varities. I've heard a lot of horror stories about ordering mail-order live plants so I keep shying away from ordering anything but seeds. Could you recommend one that you have used in the past?

Thanks

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 23:25

I don't know what side of the country you are on to know if I would be recommending nurseries who would not charge you exorbitant shipping, but of those I've used (and I order only things more rare that I cannot find in person) and am confident in, in no special order:
Plant Delights Nursery
Lazy S's Farm
Digging Dog
Forest Farm
Greer Gardens
Cistus Nursery
Joy Creek Nursery
You'll find excellent packaging and quality plants with any of the above, but again, you'll pay for it too so make sure your order will compare favorably with a tank of gas, a weekend morning drive to someplace you can go 'nursery hopping'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here