Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Cheapskate Alert

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

This month Costco has a coupon for their 18 ounce extra strong plastic cups. 240 cups in a package and the after coupon price is $.036 per cup.

That's a lot of pots for baby plants for not much cost.

They are labeled extra strong, and they are. I usually cut drains in cups 3 at a time, but I had to do these one at a time. That means they should be reusable.

Hey, with what I spend on the gardening, I have to pinch the pennies wherever possible.

Comments (9)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Nothing wrong with saving a penny here is my cheapskate idea that I incorporated from a few wintersowers.

{{gwi:215655}}

Old bbq pan left over from a shoulder cost $0.00

Old water bottles that were empty cost $0.00

Ingenuity Priceless

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Definitely visit the WS forum for ideas about making containers from recycled items. WSers are notorious scroungers of the highest order ;-)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

Water bottles and soda bottles in some states have a deposit on them. The state I live in is one of them. I found juice containers work well and so do the large plastic cups from fast food places.

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

Oregonsmoke... good catch! I have been known to use those cups as pots too...

What I learned the hard was was: LOTS of drainage holes. 5 or more and a weep hole near the bottom on the SIDE of the cup was helpful..
    PLUS.. Do not use the Moisture control soil in em.... holds TOO much water and every things dies.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Another "free" container for WS or just starting seeds and cuttings are the big deep clamshells that you get at the grocery store. The plastic is thin so they only last a season but they are so easy to use, you just make drainage holds. The top is already attached, no cutting.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

To all of you who use cups or plastic containers. Buy yourself a cheap soldering iron. Mine is a crafters soldering iron and was on sale for $9. It burns right through plastic in a snap leaving neat drainage holes. The best $9 I ever spent.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

Sticking with the theme of this post........Cheapskate Alert check local garage sales and thrift store for a soldering iron. I've found them for as low as 2 dollars.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Keeping the cheapskate going.... I cut my gallon milk jugs just below the handle and viola, a nice size container. And with the way we go through milk I make about 3 a week. Not to mention garage sales. I had a lovely lady once give me all the old plant containers in her garage (almost a garbage bag full). All because I noticed a couple she had in her Free box. :0)

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

LOL, I thought it was only me. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who looks to save a buck. I have babies growing in anything I can make drainage holes in.