Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rowan by seed

Posted by Olwas2013 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 12:32

Hello. I have a tall Rowan tree out the back. It flowers and gets flowers and produces berries every year. Before I let the seeds disappear can I collect them and plant them? If its possible when should I collect the seeds? Do they need any stratification? How do we stratify them? How long does it take for the stratification process to happen? How do we plant the seeds? How long do they take to germinate? How old do the seedlings have to be until I plant them outside in the ground? Tell me the best way of growing Rowan by seed. Thank You,
Olly Lynch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rowan by seed

Never done it myself, Olly, but the link should help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowan from seed

o

Thank you flora uk. Do you know anything about air layering Rowans. If not can we take cuttings. Thank You again
Olly Lynch

o

Thank you flora uk. Do you know anything about air layering Rowans. If not can we take cuttings. Thank You again
Olly Lynch

o

You asked about seed and that seems to be the main way of reproducing them. I have no idea abut air layering or cuttings. I'd just Google if I were you.

o

I had great success growing Rowans from seeds some years ago. I tried two methods in autumn - sowing some into a seed tray of gritty seed raising mix and some seeds put into a plastic bag of moist coir which I stored in the fridge for a couple of months. I must say that both methods were as successful as each other. I think there's a lot to be said for using fresh seed - the germination rate seems to be higher. Good luck.

o

Thank you Susana-Smith, your the best.
Thank you again,
Olly Lynch.

o

I have grown several sorbus from seed and generally just sow the whole berries in October/November in a 5inch litre pot (gritty loam) and leave them over winter, outside along the side of the greenhouse. They invariably germinate by March. Easiest have been vilmorinii and cashmeriensis while Joseph Rock had a poor germination rate.

Lovely, lovely little trees - my all-time favourite genus, even named my eldest Rowan.

o

Yes, they're one of my favourite trees too. There's also lots of interesting folklore attached to them! I'd love to get hold of some seed again this year (as we're at the tail-end of autumn) but it doesn't seem easy to come by here. I think the birds get the berries if left on the trees through the autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here