Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chaerophyllum Hirsutum var. roseum-Hairy Chevril

Posted by rcstampyd 6b-7a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:34

Hello-
I have some Chaerophyllum Hirsutum var. roseum seeds. That I got from Chiltern Seeds, in England. The common name for the plant is, Hairy Chervil. Supposedly the plants flowers are umbellifers common to the family. The flowers are pink and the whole plant smells like apples!

I am having trouble finding propagation information. I think you are supposed to winter sow the seeds. Unfortunately, I got the seeds a little to late for that. Can I start the seed in the fridge? If so, for how long should I give them a cold period for?

I also have some, Liquid Smoke Papers. That you can soak seeds, in water, with the papers for 24 hours..to help germination. Would soaking the Chaerophyllum Hirsutum var. roseum seeds, with these papers help germination? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chaerophyllum Hirsutum var. roseum-Hairy Chevril

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 18:27

The smoke treatments are thought to be helpful for those plants that grow in areas frequently swept by fire - I don't see anything in the natural habitat of this plant that makes me think it fits in that category.

There was an appealing stand of the chaerophyllum (roseum) in one of the borders at the Kingston Heronswood - in looking at Hinkley's propagation notes he said 'spread so well they would divide and not have to grow from seed'. Not helpful :) RHS says only - sow when fresh or early spring.

The plants do self sow, I'm not seeing anything that mentions a prolonged cold period. If you wanted to cover your bases, you could always refrigerate (moist sown seeds) for 2-3 weeks ....it couldn't hurt and might help. Wrap the pot in saran or place it in a zip lock bag, then bring out to warm later.

We've had such a cool, showery Spring, with many nights dropping into the 40's still, here I might be tempted to sow and place the pot outdoors.

o
RE: Chaerophyllum Hirsutum var. roseum-Hairy Chevril

Thanks for the response.

I did not know about the smoke treatment for sure. I thought maybe somewhere it said, that the smoke treatment helps starting native seeds? Or seeds that need cool?

I think I am going to try half in the fridge, half outside. I had a cool spring myself...but the last two day its been heat index 100..? Ha! The ones outside are going to need protection! I am going to save some seed to start in fall. I also noticed the sow fresh option. So I hope they will be good in my fall? I will try to post my results! Thanks again :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here