Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgirl_10

Starting Veggie seeds for fall

socalgirl-10
15 years ago

SO, today it is almost 90 here in so cal and I am thinking that I should be starting my broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower seeds indoors to set out in Sept. Do you think it is too soon? What else should I be starting now?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

Cabbage, Kohlrabi, Direct sow lettuce, mustard green, radish, spinach, green onions, turnip
    The vegi gardening forum may have other lists!

• dicot
    15 years ago

Socalgirl, I find September too soon for the brassicas - we still have scorching temps. I don't even plant those until late Oct/early November here in LA, then I set out another bunch of seedlings 6 weeks later. Same with the lettuce and spinach.

Now is actually my slowest time for seed germination. I take June and July off, since we can grow all winter long. Root veggies like radish, turnip, onions and garlic would be ok now.

• di_h
    15 years ago

taking notes here, as I was thinking the same thing! I'm actually in a 'planning' phase. Figuring out where I want to put things.

• edmac
    15 years ago

Try using skewers to plant small seed when starting your plant trays or peat pellets. much cheaper than those $15.00 to $20.00 gadgets that are sold. AND it works good. Here's how there are 2 sizes of skewers the small one works great for small seed, cut off the sharp point for eye safety then cut it in half. Now (1)get a small bowel (2)a clean cloth the size of a wash cloth and (3)a coffee cup saucer. get the cloth soppin wet and place it in the bowel set it on you potting table then sprinkle a few seeds on the saucer and move the saucer or shake very gently to put space between the seed. Next pick up your 1/2 skewer touch it to the wet cloth and flick off any excess water. next touch it to one single seed and the wetness will cause the seed to stick well enough to lift and poke it into your peat pellet or growing medium and tuck soil over it 1/8 or 1/4 inch deep. that's it simple and when you get the swing of it you will just have to tell someone else how neat it works. Edmac

• gardenall
    13 years ago

Do most people go strongly by packet for weeks planted indoors before planting out? I am in Mississippi and would like to start broccoli....cauliflower...and collard seeds for fall when the time is right(late SEP or early OCT. plant out date).....THANKS