Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sturdy cell packs and flats

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 14:55

I'm looking to purchase sturdier cell packs and flats for next season. I can't tell you how hard it is to move several unbalanced flimsy flats in and out of the house everyday during the hardening process.

Equally as challenging was when I had to transplant seedlings into 16 oz cups and tote those in and out of the house everyday.

Ideally I would like to be able to carry two flats at a time (one in each arm of course) and not have to worry about anything tipping over.

Any suggestions or DIY recommendations would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sturdy cell packs and flats

• Posted by mori1 5/6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 11:31

That has been my problem in the past. I had trays that were held together by duct tape. However, my solution was local. Check the garden centers starting in January or Feb, that's when they start bring out the plant trays. I was able to get trays for my indoor and wintersowing (2 different type of trays) at price cheaper then the big box stores or walmart.

o

I found these today. Anyone use them?

Here is a link that might be useful: quad thick trays

o

I had that problem too. Finally I just ordered triple amount of flats from on-line supplier and tripled them up. The cost is more at first, but I am so happy I finally did that. 3 trays stacked together makes them sturdy enough that I can move them back and forth without worry. The sun does make them brittle, and after awhile cracks right in the middle started to form, but so far they are still holding up great.

I'm not nearly coordinated enough to maneuver two full trays at once without accidently dropping one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here