Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with sunflowers

Posted by hood4u 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 15:06

I am trying to grow some sunflowers along my fence line in my yard. I was going to do two different plantings so i could have extended bloom time later this summer but, either a squirrel or bunny had other ideas and ate every one of my first group. dug them right out of the ground.

i started them using the paper towel in the plastic bag technique and then into the ground. which seemed to work as the root began to grow but, i cant know for sure since they were gone within a couple of days.

anyway, this time i started them the same way but then i put them in the plastic trays my annuals came in with some soil and now i have 3-4 inch sunflowers growing. my question is when will they be big enough that i don't have to worry about them being eaten outside? I don't know when they are big enough that the animals won't be interested. Also, when i do plant them outside would it be bad to bury the stem a little for better support?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with sunflowers

You can just seed the sunflower seeds directly in the ground and cover them with floating row cover. This has worked well for me to keep bugs, birds, rabbits, and deer from eating many of my sunflowers. The row cover can be left on until the plants get nearly a foot tall. At that point deer will still eat the leaves, but they seem to be safe from smaller critters. Something will occasionally get under the row cover and do some damage, but most of my plants make it.

ThinMan

o

Mine were eaten last year by deer. I put a fishing line fence around them to no avail.

This year they are inside the fenced vegetable garden and are growing strong - in fact providing shade where shade is not wanted. I am growing the Mammoth kind - 8 feet is the max height.

Interesting plants.

o

Mine are actually growing awesome. I am very new to this and just sprinkled some seeds in a patch if soil back in April. Sunflowers have actually been the easiest for me!! Little maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here