Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I a quantity of marigold seed with poor germination rate.

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 15:33

Last fall I collected perhaps a pound of marigold seed after and unexpected frost. The germination is quite poor, perhaps 1%.

Should I sow them thickly in a trench? Broadcast them and rake into the soil? Anyway I will probably get a few. I just wonder about the best technique to experiment with.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I a quantity of marigold seed with poor germination rate.

After a frost--Ty your germination rate is so poor. You probably got quite a few that were not ripe and the frost didn't help. Collect your seed before frost after the pods have turned brown. Let them dry for a few days inside, jar them and store in a cool dry place.

Do not sow them in a trench unless you want to do a lot of transplanting and any ditch will be burying them too deep. Broadcast them, rake in and water. Marigold seed has to be just covered with soil. Keep the area wet--but not too wet for a week and they should be up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here