Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too late to start Papaver outdoors in MD?

Posted by thirtylines Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 16:11

Hello,
This is may first post on gardenweb. Great site with lots of great gardening info. Anyways, I wanted to plant some papaver seeds outdoors this spring, but got sidetracked by a hospital stay. When is too late to sow papaver in Maryland? Today is June 6. Is it too late now? Any info is gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too late to start Papaver outdoors in MD?

Sow away. When I grew lots of poppies I would sow them every two weeks into July for maximum bloom time. For me they tended to germinate better in cooler weather.

SCG

o

Being that I'm in Hampton Roads area, not all that far south of you, mine are in full flower right now. They are a cool season annual & as such, require they be sown in early autumn, or late winter, depending on the weather...

I also might add, that the previous post, appears to be from someone in zone 5 & I take it, growing them in Canada. Where summer there, is absolutely nothing like our hot steamy ones in mid-Atlantic region ... Therefore, as soon as they germinated in the heat we experience,( if they even did so) they would simply quickly die from it.
I usually sow them about 7 to 10 days prior to a full moon, in late September, up to about December & later again, (the next year) in late January if mild enough, or February, up to start of March & no later.
Otherwise, just be patient & wait until late September, at the soonest. (or earliest chance, to be successful.)

o

While I will agree that they germinate better in the cooler weather don't discount how warm our summers are. Our typical daytime temp in July is about 90F and not uncommon to be 100F, however we don't get the humidity you have. I remember a time when I was guiding fly fishing a couple of guys from Houston thought they would come to Canada to get out of the heat. It was 103F in Houston and 107F here lol.

I would sow them and see what happens. What do you have to lose? I did not sow poppies this year as I am having lots of sprouts from last years sowing :)

Good luck and get back to us on how they did for you.

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here