Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Amaryllis from seed

Posted by meinflippin 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 16:28

I've been growing for a long time, but have come to something that stumps me. Amaryllis, or hippstruem, I've successfully had them produce babies from bulbs, but now I've got some seed from my pink and white specimen. Does anyone know the proper way to cultivate them. I'm eager to try.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Amaryllis from seed

This past winter I got some of mine to produce seeds and I tried the "baggie method" (you can learn about it by searching this forum) but had no luck.

Then I got a side salad container from Wendy's and filled it with soil and placed the seeds standing on end in the container and put the lid on it. Essentially making a mini-greenhouse and had great germination results. I also placed some in a pot and covered it with a sandwhich bag and had the same results. Just made sure the soil was moist but not soggy.

Good Luck!

MrBrownThumb

o

Ive found them very easy to grow from seed, I just pop them into seed trays by pushing them in sideways like a disc and keep moist (im guessing youre doing them in spring or summer when the weather is warm?). Ive even done this with not so fresh seeds and the germination is very high with them. easy peasy :)

o

I used fresh seed and put them in a seed-tray in a heated propagator. I think I just covered the seeds. They germinated in a few weeks.

o

Hi I just place the seed in water if it floats its good and 3 weeks later I got a root then 2 week after I got a green stem when the stem awas about 2 inches and then I planted it in earth and now I got 2 stems. I will have to make a tutorial for you I will work on it. Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here