Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late?

Posted by eclecticcottage 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 16:46

I am wanting to start a new garden bed, but many of the plants I want I can only find as seed (it's a theme garden, where all the plants will have beach/lake/maritime names, like shell leaf beardtongue and perennial geranium "splish splash"). Is it too late in the season to start them now? I am also going to add some daylilies (like beach music), iris (like toy boat) and hosta (sooo many choices) but those will be already started so I'm not too worried about them. I can water them in and they will do fine. I'm just worried the seeds will be starting out too late to make it through winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 17:04

Geranium pratense (like Splish Splash) - Geranium pratense, 64-71F, if no germination after 4 weeks, move 39F for 4-6 weeks, then move 41-53F for germination. They may not germinate well for you in hot weather.

Penstemon grandiflorus (like Shell Leaf) - Surface sow 8 weeks @ 40F is the typical suggestion, light may be beneficial to germination. Can you provide the cool temps this time of year (approx the same as your refrigerator, but as far as I can tell, there is no light on inside with the door closed :))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here