Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how many zinnia seedlings in container?

Posted by indica_2010 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 17:28

Hi everyone,

I am trying to grow zinnia in containers - how many seedlings do I eventually leave in containers and how many I need to transplant?

1)zinnia (thumbelina mix) - seed packet says plant ht 6" - I have 4 seedlings in 6"(diameter),5"ht container

2)pinwheel mix - packet mentions ht 12" -I have 4 seedlings in container - 7" diameter, 6"ht.

Is there any general rule for spacing seedlings in containers?

thanks for any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how many zinnia seedlings in container?

1 each..... any more than that & will have to water several times a day
If adding more than one plant in a container place near edge of pot.... & equal distant....

o
RE: how many zinnia seedlings in container? also nasturtium in ba

thanks yiorges,

zinnia thumbelina - I have them equidistant on 4 edges of pot. wud it be ok if I leave two of them in that pot and transplant the other two?

and the pinwheel zinnia - they look close now in the 8"pot. Wud it be ok if I leave one in this pot and transplant the other three into a single 10" pot - like a triangle in edges of pot?

I also wanted to ask re - nasturtium spacing in 14" hanging basket. I have 2 baskets - one with 4 seedlings and other with 6 seedlings. it is nasturtium whirlybird mix, packet says ht-12". how many seedlings wud I have to thin out?

Thanks again for any suggestions.

o
Can I put zinnias in a container with herbs?

I have long used GardenWeb, but this is my first time posting.

My mom always starts zinnias from seed in her greenhouse, but this year we just haven't had time to get the garden ready to put them in the ground. She gave me several seedlings that are leggy from not enough sun and they desperately need to be planted! I planted several in a spot that gets about 5 hours of morning light and afternoon shade. My question is: can I put one or two of these seedlings in containers that already have herbs (basil, sage, other sun loving herbs)? Will they be OK or will they have to compete too much for sunlight/root space?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here