Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coming true from seed

Posted by treehouse415 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 18:08

Hey everyone I just bought some strawberry seeds online and I have been reading tons and tons of info on growing from seed.

However, I am stuck at a phrase that I see from time to time that I just don't understand, and I need help verifying what it means exactly.

The saying is :

" ..... it doesn't come true from seed".

What does that mean exactly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coming true from seed

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 18:17

It means that the plants produced by the seeds won't be exactly the same as the plant the seeds came from. That doesn't mean you won't get a nice strawberry, it just means you'll get a somewhat different strawberry. Size, color, cropping are typical traits that are bred for in food plants but don't expect extreme differences.

o

As trudi says the seed won't produce a plant that resembles the plant it came from. In most cases this is a hybridized plant. Many heirloom varieties do come true from seed.When planting seeds like you have is a crap shoot. 1 or 2 may be like the plant, but most will not. Some will produce berries and some may be useless. You just never realy know what you are going to get.

Just curious--why are you growing strawberries from seed. I think it would take a while to get viable plants. The best way to grow them is from stringers. You buy some plants and that fall they produce stringers which you cut off and replant the next spring

o

Oh, thanks guys.

Oilpainter - I bought one plant from the local nursery here and hopefully it will produce tons of runners later in the fall or winter for my propagation project. I decided to get some Sequoia Strawberry seeds online because I like seeing things sprout and mature, (For me, it's like getting a puppy or a grown dog). However, I do know that strawberry plants won't flower or fruit until the second year. I'm patience so I'll just enjoy the beauty of the plant for the first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here