Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huacatay?

Posted by flora2 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 18:22

I was born and raised in Peru and would love to find seeds or plants of this herb so I can use it in my cooking. Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks a lot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huacatay?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 11:44

It looks like huacatay is a common name, the latin name being tagetes minuta (from the marigold family). Of the seed vendors I use, Chiltern Seeds (UK but don't let that dissuade you) offers tagetes minuta....but closer herb suppliers may carry the seed too, I don't grow enough herbs to know them all :)

o

Morz8: Thanks for the note. I did a quick search and even searched Chiltern seeds (looks very interesting--will go back to look more) but it appears the latin name encompases a lot of the marigols, how do I find out which one of the one? I think you are right --the foliage looks familiar but the flavor is very particular. How do I find out? Suggestions? Again, thanks for the note.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 19:03

Various sites reading similar to this ""sometimes called Mexican marigold, Inca marigold or Peruvian black mint. It grows up to 2 metres tall and produces tiny white or pale yellow flowers (hence the name "minuta").

Native to South America, it was introduced to Europe during the Spanish conquests. Tagetes minuta is a popular companion plant in gardening because its roots produce a compound which keeps slugs, pests and weeds at bay.

In Peru, T.minuta is known as Huacatay and made into puree and seasoning that give local dishes a unique herbal flavour; said to taste like a mixture of mint, coriander and basil. ""

Chiltern-
Genus: Tagetes
Species: Minuta
Catalog Seed #1222D

Here is a link that might be useful: Tagetes minuta @ Chiltern

o

• Posted by elladog z10, SoCalif, Sunset (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 0:56

Tagetes minuta seeds are available from http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=PS16089
or from http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=573
or http://companionplants.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=770

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Change

o

I just got back from Piura. bought some huacatay seeds along with Rocoto and Aji Limo. The company name is Alabama S.A. out of Callao Lima. This stuff is pretty easy to get nowadays.

o

Frankymac: I bought some huacatay seeds from Alabama Co a few years ago but not a single one germinated--people say it is fairly easy to grow so I took it kind of personally :)
I grew up in Piura as a child and I am very jealous of all your ajies, could you tell me if you have been able to germinate and grow Huacatay yourself?
Thanks a lot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here