Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germinating honeyberry (haskap) seeds

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 18:41

Hello all, I have 3 honeyberry shrubs that are now producing berries, and I'd like to propagate them via seed for wildlife plantings. They're a species of honeysuckle shrub, so I'm wondering if they simply require cold stratification like most other honeysuckle species, or if there's any additional steps the seeds require.

Also, how should I store the seeds over the summer until it's time for cold stratification this winter? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germinating honeyberry (haskap) seeds

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 14:41

First, I don't grow these, but U of Idaho suggests:

= " best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Stored seed requires 2 months cold stratification. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts.

Germination of freshly harvested seeds occurs 3-6 weeks after seeding and is generally good (50-90%), Stratification is not required if fresh. Seed viability remains good for about 1 year after harvest, but declines rapidly in succeeding years."

If you do chose to store for a few months and not sow immediately, cool and dry for storage. If you are in a humid warm climate, that site may be sealed in a container in your refrigerator after drying....just an envelope on my desk works for seeds for me, my house is on the dry side.

o
RE: Germinating honeyberry (haskap) seeds

Any seedlings yet? I wish my haskap had some berries. I want to seed a little on the woods edge and in clearings on my property. It would be a nice addition to all the wild raspberries.

How did you collect the seeds? Blender? Any extras you might sell/trade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here