Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petitevicious

Where do you purchase seeds online?

petitevicious
17 years ago

I've been trying to find some good sites to purchase seeds, but haven't come across anything that's struck my fancy. What sites do you prefer?

Comments (15)

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

For heirloom varieties -- mainly veggies, but some flowers -- try www.seedsavers.org

Others that get high ratings from GardenWatchdog are at this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: GWD - Top30

• thomas521
    17 years ago

Valueseeds.com has low prices. I've planted some seeds from them. Some types didn't germinate, but most did. Not bad for the price.

Crosman's Seeds has low prices, too, but I've never ordered from them. Sand Hill Preservation Center has some seeds, mostly veggies, at decent prices. I haven't ordered from them, either. Burpee is expensive, but I've never had trouble germinating seeds from their catalog. Direct Gardening offers some seeds at decent prices, but this company does not have a good reputation. (Most of the complaints are about their plants, though.) Their shipping is also pretty expensive for seeds alone, since it's geared toward bulb and plant orders.

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I buy mine from swallowtailgardenseeds.com.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Depends if you're looking for cheap, "upscale" with lots of HTF varieties & quality, or somewhere in between.

Personally, as a newbie seed starter and cheapskate on EVERYTHING, I like TGN's Pumpkin Nook for Ferry Morse (50% off), and Valueseeds.com for Thompson & Morgan brand. I have yet to order from Select Seeds, but will probably use them.

Call me a goober on this one, but I like Livingston Seeds' packaging, also Rebecca's garden, so I buy those locally.

• chestnutpatrick
    17 years ago

Bulk seed, dirt cheap.... Good selection... 1/8 lb to Multiple pounds.... Great for mass planting.

www.flowersoul.com

Prompt service. Great germination.

PC

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    17 years ago

I always preferred to get the catalogs and put a post-it flag on everything I wanted to buy, then go the online address in the catalog and place my order - unless I already know exactly what I want.

An additional value to doing it this way is that if you really like or dislike a certain variety or provider you can mark up the post-it flag and keep it on the shelf till next year for quick reference.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

forgot about eBay...and Lonnies Bulk Seeds (dot com). Many sellers offering great qty of each seed for cheap with good shipping prices.

• katnip_ct
    17 years ago

Pinetree seeds is very reasonable because they sell in smaller quantities. Usually 90 cents a packet. I've had good luck with them. Otherwise Parks is great!

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I love to order from Johnny's Selected Seeds, and from Thompson and Morgan.

Also, Wildflower seeds in Fredrichsburg, Texas is great! I order tomatoes and some pepper seeds for DH from Totally Tomatoes.

Janie

• trolley_molly
    17 years ago

Thompson and Morgan: tremendous variety, hermetically sealed packaging, lots of seeds in a packet, currently having a half-price sale online. (http://www.thompson-morgan.com/en)
    Territorial Seeds: For vegetable varieties that grow well in the Pacific Northwest.(http://www.territorial-seed.com)
    Johnny's Seeds: good variety, good quality, great instructions on how to grow (http://www.johnnyseeds.com)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

Park Seeds is my favorite, for quality and germination.
    Johnny's is great for veggie varieties in cool temps.
    I tried Select Seeds and wasn't happy with germination.

• xymox
    17 years ago

i am selling venus' flytrap seeds if you are interested. :) they are bearly harvested as well.

• veggiepark
    17 years ago

www.jlhudsonseeds.com is great they has huge selection of seed, temperate and tropical, based in California. www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com has a good selection of basic seeds as well as interesting and unusal native species and tropical exotics, based from Kentucky. www.richters.com has nearly every herb and medicinal seed and plant from A-Z, based from Canada.

• gardeningcrazy1
    17 years ago

there is a place on e-bay, Stacy's seeds. I bought a few at first, then just could NOT stay away from her site, she has an excellent selection of seeds, very fast shipping and her prices are great. She also includes a bonus pack of
    wild flower seeds (an & per). Of all the places i have bought seeds from she is turning out to be my favorite.

She also sells in bulk or small qty., you can either bid on the seeds or use the buy it now option. And she offers discount shipping for additional products at the time of your purchase.

Worth checking into.

Judy