Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Germinating Impatiens

Posted by sharvil6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 20:20

So i collected impatien seeds from last years bloom and stored them in some random container.
This year, i browsed the internet and this forum for hours reading countless complex instructions on how to germinate impatiens
After all of that, i decided i was too lazy to go through all the steps listed (put under light, put in fridge, cover with foil, etc.)
So instead, i sprinkled the seeds onto some potting soil which i had put in an Olive Garden carry out container
I covered the container with the olive garden lid
I put it near the sun (not in the sun)
I sprayed the soil every day just enough to get the surface moist
and some 4 days later, all the seeds had sprouted.
haha and in no way!!! am i trying to prove that i'm some expert germinator or something, actually, i;m terrible. I kill everything i grow.
But i figured i would share this story for any other lazy impatien "germinators"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Germinating Impatiens

But shervil--you sprouted them just the way they are supposed to be sprouted. At least almost the way I do.
A--you didn't make the soil too wet.
B-- you misted them to keep the seed moist.
C--you covered them with a humidity lid again to keep the seed moist and voila--success.

Sometimes you can overthink a process and every gardener does things a little different. What I tell any one who asks--Take all the advice, sift through it and find the things that are common to all and find your own way of doing things--That's precicely what you did, so----

Congratulations

o

@oilpainter
haha thnx, we'll see how they do
i just moved some of them to individual containers
I love impatiens
Wish Me Luck!!!

o

From a long time grower of impatiens--Be careful with the water. Impatiens are very suseptible to damp off. I think it has much to do with their tender stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here