Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick Japanese Laceleaf Maple seed pods

Posted by vlgee 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 20:45

Hi,

I have a laceleaf jaanese male I would like to try to start from seeds. I know the odds are minimum, but I'd like to give it a shot.

My leaves are bright red now, and the pods are a variegated red/yellow. Should I harvest them now, or wait longer?

Thanks so much,
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick Japanese Laceleaf Maple seed pods

I don't have any experience with Japanese maples but common sense would say to wait until the maple itself decides its seeds are ripe. i.e. when they start to fall naturally. I have grown other trees from seed which I have just collected up off the ground. Why make things harder?

o
RE: When to pick Japanese Laceleaf Maple seed pods

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 11:35

When the 'wings' on the seed begin to turn tan, but before they have become completely brown and woody, is ideal time for collecting the seeds of acer palmatum/Japanese maple. That's late summer into early Fall here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here