Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflowers just sprouting

Posted by ramatheson 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 20:55

I have three Sunflowers in a small pot. There is about 2 or 3 inches of soil, and three sunflowers seedlings, each about an inch apart, and about three or four inches tall each. The problem is that they are leaning and almost look like they will lie down if it weren't for them resting against the edge of the pot. If I turn them, they will lean back the other way towards the sun. I'm not sure if I should let them fight and kill each other off, leaving the strongest one, or pluck two of them at random out of the pot.

They are in a north-facing balcony.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflowers just sprouting

What kind of sunflowers did you plant?

o

They are Mammoth Sunflowers and Velvet Queens.

o

Are you planning on putting them in the ground or keeping them In Containers? I think they need deeper soil. I know mammoth sunflowers grow to be 5 to 10 feet tall. Mine always do. They probably need more support. Also they should be about 1 to 2 feet apart from each other. Yeah, they definitely need their space.

o

I live in an apartment, and so they will each go into a bigger pot. I'm just not sure when to do that exactly. Will they survive the Arizona Summer outdoors?

o

Well, I live in New Mexico and they do fine. They just require a little more TLC. Ive read that they are drought resistant when established but mine dont seem to be at all. I have to water them sometimes twice a day. It gets so hot here and the soil dries out really quickly. Also I have to feed them alot. They are heavy eaters and the sandy soil they are in now does not hold nutrients well. Just watch the plant. If its droopy, water it. If the color changes, try feeding it. I would thin them out at 3 or 4 inches and definately put them in bigger pots. They have taproots so make sure they are deep pots. I hope this helps and good luck with your sunflowers!

o

Thanks for all of the advice. They are in the little peat pots, and in just a few days, one has sprouted and raced to about 6 inches tall with true leaves coming in. It is having difficulty standing, so I have some Qtips helping it, and will be transplanting it into a bigger pot today. I'm reading and debating about the peat pot - whether or not to leave it in or cut it out of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here