Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniesgarden

Growing Ornamental Kale from Seed

stephaniesgarden
14 years ago

I had 2 lovely ornamental kale plants given to me last winter by mother in law. They flowered out and formed seed pots. Won is the red and green and the other is white and green. I only kept the seed pods from the red and green as the white took forever and I accidently ran it over with the lawn mower tire...lol

Anyways, I couldn't find any information about when to harvest and if they would be viable. I clipped the whole flower stalk above the leaves after all the blooms faded, the pods turned green and then started to darken.

I have hung them upside down and they have dried completely. They are brown and crispy as is the seeds inside. Anyone know when to plant them and how viable they might be?

How long do they take to germinate in a hot greenhouse?

When is the best time to plant...ect?

Also, on my old kale which are about to die off as they have gotten really tall, there are some,what looks like babies growing around them. They have a handful of leaves and are about 4 inches high. However they aren't rounding out like a cabage or kale would...they are just sticking strait up. Can I repot these or no?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any advise you may have!

Comment (1)