Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

calendula seedlings

v1rt
14 years ago

I grew them from seeds about a month about. The seedlings are about 6" or 7" tall now. Do they really don't look good in the beginning? How come, the pictures I saw on the internet have small leaves?

Comments (6)

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

I don't have an answer as this is first time I tried them along with Larkspur and Bachelor Buttons. All were started outside early April.

Calendula are about 6-7" too. They must have grown some in past month but aren't near forming buds.

One Larkspur left that germinated got pounded into ground last night by thunderstorm.

Bachelor Buttons are tall skinny things, again, not even a flower bud yet. I won't pinch for fear of them keeling over.

I'm embarassed I can't get these things to grow.

On the other hand, the seeds and I seem to cooperate well on Agastache!

Calendula like cool growing conditions and we've had beating sun 80s some days here. You might still have enough cool temps for them to grow better.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never had any issues with calendula growing from seed. My concern was how they looks! :D Hehehe. They look like weeds. Hahaha.

I also grew bachelor button's from seed via direct sow. They're like 4 or 5" tall now. However, I'm also a little bit worried. They also look like weeds. I also winter sowed some and they are exactly the same. So, I am not going to pull the ones I direct sowed.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

There are more than a dozen types of calendula, maybe you looked at one online other than the type you sowed. But they are somewhat weedy looking when not in bloom - be patient and the color they provide when mature enough to flower will make up for their untidy habit.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:) Thanks morz8!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

be patient and the color they provide when mature enough to flower will make up for their untidy habit.

hi morz8,

You are correct! :D Few flower buds opened today. I love the colors of the flower. Here are the pics for today.

{{gwi:244431}}

{{gwi:244432}}

{{gwi:244433}}

• gailhengen
    14 years ago

congratulations on your calendula and look forward to it being in your garden for years go come :) no matter what i do i cant get rid of this lol. i discovered this beauty after a bird or wind draft left some in my garden one day; as many of my favorite flowers happened :) there are many varieties, i prefer the ones that don't grow so leggy like and lean and fall over. i prefer the ones that aren't as tall and have a more compact plant to them. but all in all they seed very well. you can save the seed if you wish to "control" where to plant them but they self seed Very very well and will pop up alot anywhere. the seed pods burst and release the seeds so some may get carried by the wind a bit.