Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
primrose from seeds?

Posted by snowling888 MA Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 22:10

I've just saved some primrose seeds. After a lot research on-line, it seems not easy to get it germinate. Anyone here have idea to start primrose seeds without a coldframe?

snow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: primrose from seeds?

which primrose? (arabian, booth's, brown-eye, cape, evening, field, polyanthus, shrubby evening)
you can replace the cold frame by storing the seed in the vegi keeper (where the temperature is 40F) keep it there for the prescribe time.

o

Primrose - Primula vulgaris & veris are easy to grow.
They need ~70+degree temp to germinate. I sowed mine in winter then set the containers outside in the cold. They germinated in mid spring.
Photobucket

o

I've been going out into the desert weekly looking for seed of the Oenothera brevipes, "Desert primrose". From the distribution in the desert it clearly produces seed but I cannot find any.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 13:06

Understanding that oenothera is not the primrose being asked about above -

Albert, if you can, take squares of nylon stocking and some twist ties, bag stems on flowering plants you can find again. Seed is said to be set and dispersed rather quickly. You may have competion from mice, birds, so don't be surprised if they raid the 'bags' but you might get some viable seed that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here