Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting from seed

Posted by journalbee zone 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 22:23

i have some seed packs that i would like to plant. my dh did start some in the house and they are currently in cups on the deck. (of course the wind blew them all over before they went into the cups. so i don't know which is which.) but they are coneflowers, painted daisys and black eyed susans. they are only about a 1/2 inch. should i leave them on the deck in the plastic drink cups or should i plant them in the ground. and the remaining seeds in the packs?? can i just toss them into the ground??
thanks for any advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting from seed

WOULD DEPEND ON AMOUNT OF SOIL IN CUP.. THE MORE THE BETTER. THE PLANT SIZE IS MUCH TO SMALL TO HAVE A ROOT SYSTEM THAT WILL SURVIVE THE TRANSPLANT AT THIS TIME.
YES YOU MAY SOW SEED IN GROUND AT THIS TIME....

o

ok, i will leave them in the cup. till??? the fall? in the meantime i will throw down some seeds and see what happens.

thanks!

o

Presuming the cup is about 6 oz, when the plants grow to about 4 to 6 inches I would plant them in the garden. Al

o

i'm new to the outdoors. lol so new to the whole garden thing. i prob did not put enough dirt in the cups. so, it is not a time of year but a size. i will add more dirt. dh had started them in those little soil discs. so i don't think it would disturb them too much, as long as i do it sooner rather than later.
thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here