Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many days from seed to bloom?

Posted by LitlFlower 7 - SE PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 23:04

Hi all,

I am a new gardener, and very ambitious. I have 25 containers on my patio at the moment. I direct sowed into the containers on May 1st. Everything has germinated beautifully as far as I can tell. Here's what I planted in the various containers:

Morning Glories (heavenly blue, pearly gates, grandpa ott)
Moonflowers
Pink Zinnias
Envy Zinnias
Bachelor Buttons
Sunflowers (chianti and mammoth)
Sweet pea
Dwarf snapdragon
Cosmos (bright lights and psyche)
Bells of Ireland
Fountain Lobelia
Convolvulus
Ensign Morning Glories
Nasturtium (Empress of India)
Marigolds

Like I said, I'm very ambitious. So this leads to my two questions:

1. How thin do I need to thin/prick these "seedlings" (they're pretty tall now, so I'm not quite sure they qualify as seedlings anymore). I thin them almost everyday and they seem to grow back even faster.

2. Anticipation is driving me crazy! Like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm not sure when I can expect blooms...mid-June? Early July? August???? I can't wait!

Thanks for any insight you can provide! I'll post some pictures if and when I get some blooms :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many days from seed to bloom?

Hazzard's Greenhouse website gives estimated seeds-to-sales time for annuals and shows 7 weeks for profusion zinnias, 10 weeks for marigolds, 6 weeks for cosmos & 12 weeks for snapdragons. I didn't keep notes of how long mine took from seed to bloom last year because annuals grow & bloom so fast, and bloom non-stop 'til frost, it didn't seem worth the effort. This year the only annuals I'm growing from seed are California poppies because I don't have much room left in the flowerbeds. I'm on year 2 winter sowing perennials and finding an empty spot to fill is becoming a challenge. I also just let Mother Nature do the thinning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here