Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Seed Newbie Question

Posted by chuck2000xj Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 23:18

Hello all! This is my first post/ question and I am completely nieve to gardening. My family wanted to start a little project stemmed by my kids. I'm not even sure if this is even possible. We wanted to take some seeds from a Granny Smith apple and grow a tree that will produce apples. Is this possible? I understand that apple trees can not pollinate themselves so several apple trees need to be near to each other so that they can be cross pollinated by bees. But if I can get the trees to grow will I be successful?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Seed Newbie Question

most (all) apple trees will self-polinaate. The seed from this apple will produce a tree and in 4-10 years will produce a apple BUT IT WILL NOT BE EXACTLY LIKE A GRANNY SMITH APPLE.....
try take a cutting of the apple tree

o

Thanks... I have been doing some reading and everywhere I have read all said that apple trees wont self pollinate. Not that it matters. I will plant a few. And why won't the apple be like a Granny Smith?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 10:50

Most of the commercial/grocery store fruit we buy comes from trees propagated by means other than seeds to ensure specific characteristics - they are produced from cuttings, grafting to produce exact duplicates of the 'mother' plants. Reproduction by seed can be widely variable, and while the offspring might be similar to one or both parents, some or even all of the desirable characteristics may be lost. Most commercially propagated apple trees are grafted onto dwarf rootstocks that are disease and cold tolerant. Seedling offspring of these nursery-grown trees will not have those same advantages.

Then take into consideration cross pollination - and commercial orchards will often use crab apple planted as pollinators and you've thrown even more variety into the mix. You may have an apple tree that bears apples, but there is a strong chance they will be small fruit, and may or may not taste good.

o

Ok I understand. Thank you both for your help. Even if I cant get a desirable apple to grow, I think it would be fun for all of us (especially the kids) to see something grow from a seed. I have a few seeds that have started to sprout in a moist papertowel. I am going to plant them in plastic cups to start with and see where it goes from there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here