Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice gardener needs advice regarding buying seeds.

Posted by akprice none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 0:26

Earlier this year, I decided to try my hand at this gardening thing for the first time. I'm more of a "learn as you go" type of person, so I bought some seeds at Target, by Burpee, including early prolific straightneck squash. It only took me several months of diligent research to figure out that I was growing pumpkins instead.

Fortunately, I had the space to mostly accomodate the pumpkins (although, I did waste the season researching summer squash recipes in anticipation of my bounty). My questions are:
1) How often does a seed mix-up happen? Did I just win the backwards lottery of purchasing seeds? Or does it happen more frequently than I would expect?
2) I went with Burpee for convenience and because I knew the name. Did my issue have a greater likelihood to occur because I went with this company? Are there other "commonly" found seed companies (such as Ferry-Morse) that have a better reputation amongst the gardening community?

I would like to avoid having to order all of my seeds from a specialty company (although, I will if it's strongly recommended). I mostly want to be informed if it's common or not to have these sorts of circumstances to occur. Any seed-buying advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice gardener needs advice regarding buying seeds.

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 21:44

I sent you an email..in response to your message.

o

I'd expect a mix up like that to be fairly rare, but you should know that it can happen even if you order your seeds on line or from a catalog.

Many (most?) of us far prefer to order by mail order from a seed company because the variety is so tremendous and the seeds fresher.

Whatever you decide to do next year, you can spare yourself several months of research by looking at and comparing pictures of seeds on line. For example, there's a huge difference between pumpkin and squash seeds. You'll see that when you buy the seeds next year.

o

You should also check out the Seed Exchange right here at GW! There are lots of friendly folk willing to trade seeds, and often offer seeds for SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to newbies like yourself.

Also, your local Farmer's Co-Op is a pretty reliable place to purchase veggie seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here