Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeyberry/Haskap from Seeds?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 1:42

Horrible wind knocked down some berries, figured I grow them and see, have grown some by layering which would make it true to plant.
Has any of you grown them and what is my firs step, ...let them dry out first? I just want to save them and plant next spring.
How about freezing them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeyberry/Haskap from Seeds?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 10:02

Post from last month:

(cold moist period if used - approx 35-40F not freezing)

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberry

o

Thank you so much Morz!

o

One more question,...do I need to take the seeds out? They are very tiny! Perhaps I should squeeze some out and some leave them in more or less in, just flatten them a bit?

This was the plant, the better of the two I have and very productive, called Blue Belle.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 10:42

The pulp of most fruit contains germination inhibitors and needs to be removed, according to the RHS honeyberry is not different.

Try letting some get overly soft on your counter, gently pushing the pulp through a fine kitchen sieve, then running under water. Turn the sieve upside down and bang over a plate to knock the seeds back out.

Or put a berry (s) on a paper towel and use your finger to 'smoosh' it out, let it dry on the towel open to air a few days and remove seeds.

o

Thank you so much Morz! Yes,..I have them on the counter several day's now and my wife did use a fine mesh sieve to get some out.

o

Hi,
Where can i find haskap seeds? There's any possibility off shipping to.
Here in Portugal i only find blueberry plants, and they grow very well
Did they have some in common ?

o

Ok, so what i have read is that people are talking about propigation and putting them near the woods.So do they do well in shade- partial shade or full sun. Also what is the flavor like? is it like blueberries?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here